The Role of Culture on Islamic Architecture
Islamic architecture is an ongoing argument for an extended period. Is it Islamic architecture, Muslim architecture, or architecture in Islam? Is it just visual elements or a way to use the inner space? Whatever the answer is, we will use the term Islamic architecture in this paper. To search and dig out the identities of so-called Islamics. This paper is seeking after these identities and their relations with Islamic culture to solve international architecture concepts without modifications or adaptation. The main goal is to extract the sociocultural aspects that define that architecture to be called Islamic Architecture. An analytical research method uses some attempts to interact the environmental conditions and social aspects with cultural and religious values to define Islamic architecture's identity. The study result and summary could be used to evaluate the satisfaction of the built environment of Muslims when and wherever they are. As a comprehensive result, Islamic Design Principles, Islamic Planning Principles, and Islamic Urban Design Principles could be extracted from Islamic sources and used everywhere at any time by anybody. These design principles may be used to upgrade the workability of the existing residential buildings simply by revising the opening's location, heights, and treatments. Architecture with that dynamic, flexible culture gives its identity a chance to compete globally to survive locally.
Babangida, H., & Katsina, H. S. (2018). Integrating Islamic design principles for achieving family privacy in residential architecture. Journal of Islamic Architecture, 5(1), 9-19.
Behrens-Abouseif, D. (1989). Islamic architecture in Cairo: An introduction. Brill.
Bruyns, G. (2012). Mapping, Tracing & Reading. In Architecture, Technology & Design: Urbanism reading Series (p. 32). Digital Studio for Research in Design.
Ching, F. D. (2014). Architecture: Form, space, and order. John Wiley & Sons.
Firzal, Y. (2016). Culutre and Architecture: A Sociocultural Identity of Place. Riau: UR Press.
Grosz, E. (2001). Architecture from the Outside. Massachusetts: M.I.T. Press.
Guattari, F., & Deleuze, G. (2004). El Anti Edipo: capitalismo y esquizofrenia. Paidós Ibérica.
Moore, K. D. (Ed.). (2019). Culture-meaning-architecture: Critical reflections on the work of Amos Rapoport. Routledge.
Mugerauer, R. (1993). Toward an architectural vocabulary: The porch as a between. Dwelling, seeing, and designing: Toward a phenomenological ecology, 103-128.
Petruccioli, A., & Pirani, K. K. (2013). Understanding islamic architecture. Routledge.
Rapoport, A., & el Sayegh, S. (2005). Culture, architecture, and design (p. 92). Washington: Locke science publishing Company.
الشريعة الإسلامية ودورها في تأصيل العمران رسالة دكتوراة في التصميم المعماري. أم درمان: جامعة أم درمان الإسلامية.. (2015). أزهري، أ. ا
القرآن الكريم. (n.d.). المدينة المنورة: مجمع الملك فهد لطباعة المصحف الشريف
. الربيع والصيف). نشأة وتطوير التصميم العمراني 1956-2006. الرياض: مكتبة الملك فهد الوطنية. الهذلول، ص. (2010)
. تأثير الهوية والثقافة على سلوك الفرد داخل الفراغات المعمارية. الجيزة: جامعة القاهرة - كلية الهندسة - رسالة ماجستير علوم الهندسة المعمارية.. (2014) عزوز، م. خ
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- The Author and each co-authors transfer the copyright and grant the journal right of publication with the work simultaneously licensed under an International Creative Commons Attribution and ShareAlike 4.0 License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors should sign copyright transfer agreement when they have approved the final proofs sent by JKPIs prior the publication.
- The Author (Co-authors) guarantees that the Materials are an original work, submitted only to JKPIs, and have not been published previously.
- In case the Materials were written jointly with Co-authors, the Author guarantees that he/she has informed them of the terms of this Agreement and obtained their signatures or written permission to singe on their behalf.
- The Author guarantees as well that:
- The Materials do not contain libelous statements.
- The Materials do not infringe on other persons' rights (including without limitation copyrights, patent rights and the trademark right).
- The Materials do not contain facts or instructions that can cause damage or injury to third parties and their publication dose not cause the disclosure of any secret or confidential information
Jurnal Kajian Peradaban Islam
Published by Penerbit Sinergi Mandiri Bandung in Collaboration with Perhimpunan Intelektual Muslim Indonesia, and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Copyright ©2018 Perhimpunan Intelektual Muslim Indonesia.